Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ex Ex Gay

For years I went through ex-gay therapy. From 2002 to right at the end of 2007. For those of you who do not know what this is...in short...it is a type of therapy where they try to make you straight. During those years I did many things to try to make this work...by 'this' I mean..make the gay go away.

Counselors
Group Therapy
Group Discussions
Books..many many books
Celebrate recovery
Every Man's Battle Conference

Wow..seems like the list is never ending. There are many thoughts and feelings going on in my head right now about this type of therapy. It really did take a traumatic toll on my life.

When I think back of all the years I went through to try to fix a problem that wasn't even a problem in the first place makes me very sad...very angry.

I was talking to my counselor yesterday about how I would like to be an advocate for people that have suffered this same path. I am not sure what that will look like, but I am looking forward to the opportunity when it arises.

No comments: