Monday, June 1, 2009

If I were a bee

Samuel and I rent movies all of the time. I like movies and I think that interest of mine is rubbing off on the little guy. We are fans of the 'redbox' located at various places around the neighborhood. You can rent a movie for only a $1! You only get it for one night, but they have a good selection..especially for the little ones.

Saturday we rented Bee Movie and midway through I had this little discussion with samuel.

Samuel: Daddy, I want to be a bee.
Daddy: Why?
Samuel: So I can sting people.
Daddy: *ponders for a second*
Daddy: Me too.

I love conversations with samuel for several reasons, but mostly because

a) there is complete honesty...with no filter
and
b) see reason a.

You see...some people do drive me to the point where I wish I could just sting them back into reality.

For example:

Someone deciding whether or not they want to delete me from their facebook because they feel that having me as a friend would mean they are 'approving' of my life style.

That is just absurd.

I believe people are missing the point all together. Whether you agree or disagree you are still supposed to love.


Step 1: Love the person
Step 2: That is completely up to you, but deleting me from your life is rediculous.

6 comments:

Brady said...

I've been trying to figure how how to handle people like that for a long time (the facebook friend). Luckily, no one personally in my life has gone to that extreme permanently.

As you've probably noticed in my blog (maybe not), I've had less and less patients for people in this category recently.

So my advice currently...if someone tells you they don't believe in your lifestyle and is going to end a relationship with you, tell them you probably agree that would be best, because would have a hard time agreeing their lifestyle too.

Anyone that refuses to let their friends be happy, or even attempt to understand the issues behind all of this, has more to worry about than your "lifestlyle."

Dannybrou said...

Brady - I couldn't agree more. Thank you for the advice!!

hello jamie: said...

I don't get where people get off judging, and especially "ranking" "sins." Yes, all quotes intended. If they think your lifestyle is a sin, they won't be your FACEBOOK FRIEND? Ridiculous. Plus, how are they viewing that your lifestyle is any "worse" than condoning a lifestyle of gluttony, or pride, or racism, or say.... being a douchebag?? How many churchgoing Christians do you know that live their lives that way? Why do they get to decide that your sins are worse than their sins?

You don't need friends like that, Bruce.

Brady said...

I love the idea of douchebaggery being a sin, Jamie!

Side note- I promise I don't think patience is spelled the way I spelled it. I just refuse to proofread.

Nana Erin said...

Oh honey,

You KNOW I don't agree with your every choice, but I love you SO MUCH no matter what you do that it doesnt even matter.

JimG said...

Dude...that is so maddening! Does someone really think that by having you on their facebook it is a sign that they approve of all you do or your "lifestyle"?
It seems that so many of these types will subconsciously do anything to avoid simply looking at their own life and how they can be a "better" person...as if striking you from their friends list somehow puts them above reproach. Honestly, in some ways, it makes me embarrased to be a Christian...not ashamed, just a bit embarrased.

In other news...wonder how your blog would've ended up if Samuel had simply said..."Because I like honey."