Saturday, August 1, 2009

Being close to God

Tonight was a good night. I went to my friend Jim's wedding reception at this amazing hotel in Plano. I got to meet a lot of people that have influenced his life in many ways. There was one conversation that I had that I will not forget for a long long time. I can't remember the gentleman's name off the top of my head, but our conversation was centered around 'being close with God'.

You see, there was a distinct part of my life where I felt so close to God and a distinct part of my life where I didn't feel close to God at all. The years when I struggled with who I truly was as a person were those years that my relationship with God faded quickly.

God gave us two commandments. 1) Love your God with all your heart and 2) love your neighbor as yourself. The reason my relationship with God was strained was because I didn't love myself at all. I didn't accept who I was as a person and I feared what others would think of me.

I am so happy to be in a place in my life where my relationship with God is growing again. It has been many many years since it has been in a place where it has needed to be.

p.s. Congrats Jim and Bonnie! So proud of you guys...you two are an amazing couple and you have an amazing family.

3 comments:

Nana Erin said...

OK, I did read this. I just didnt comment because I am in the opposite place. I'm not a big fan of whatever God's plan is and whatever it is He is doing in my life right now. I'm not a fan in general right now. I don't like it that way, but it's true.

TheMan said...

I enjoy reading your posts. I am also a gay father.

Dannybrou said...

Erin - I know what you mean...so hard sometimes...so very hard.

Wesley - Sorry it is taking me so long to respond. been MIA for a bit. Thank you for reading.. I promise to update more often.